Who Should Take This Training?
This course is intended for anyone with limited or no medical training who needs a course completion card in First Aid to meet job, regulatory, or other requirements, or it can also be taken by those who simply want to be prepared for an emergency in any type of setting.
Course Format Options
This course can be taken either in a 100% classroom format or a blended format that combines the flexibility of online training with hands-on skills practice and testing with an AHA Instructor.
100% classroom training means students are with an AHA instructor for their entire learning experience. This video-based, instructor-led course teaches skills with the AHA’s research-proven practice-while-watching technique, which allows instructors to observe the students, provide feedback, and guide the students’ learning of skills.
The blended format starts with the student taking the eLearning portion of the Heartsaver® First Aid. Upon completion of the online portion, students must complete a hands-on skills session with one of our AHA Heartsaver® Instructors.
The online portion can be completed in approximately 3 1/2 hours; the time to complete skills practice and testing session varies.
Students select their format option during the signup process.
Upon completion of this course, students receive an American Heart Association Heartsaver® First Aid Course Completion eCard via email that is valid for two years.
After enrollment and payment, students will be emailed a key-code and link that allows them access to their online course to be taken at the AHA website.
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in all AHA courses and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the AHA. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the AHA.
Loading Classroom Dates…
After successfully completing the BLS Provider CPR course, students should be able to:
- List the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of first aid rescuers;
- Describe the key steps in first aid;
- Remove protective gloves;
- Find the problem;
- Describe the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke;
- Use an epinephrine pen;
- Control bleeding and bandaging;
- Recognize elements of common injuries;
- Recognize elements of common illnesses;
- Describe how to find information on preventing illness and injury; and
- Recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers.
- First aid basics;
- Medical emergencies;
- Injury emergencies;
- Environmental emergencies;
- Preventing illness and injury; and
- Optional exam.
100% Classroom Course Features:
- Video-based course ensures consistency;
- Instructor-led, hands-on class format reinforces skills proficiency;
- Student Workbook comes with Heartsaver® First Aid Quick Reference Guide that summarizes first aid actions for many injuries and illnesses; and
- Course is updated with the new science from the 2020 AHA Guidelines Update for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care.
Online Course Features:
- Students have the convenience of completing the course at their own pace at work, home, or wherever Internet access is available;
- Can be used for initial or renewal training;
- Includes interactive exercises and videos to engage students and provide periodic points of knowledge transference;
- Certificate of completion available to print when the online portion has been completed successfully;
- Students have access to all information in the online course for 24 months after activation of their key to help reinforce what they have learned;
- Includes audio and transcript for any students who may have a hearing or visual disability;
- Screen and text-sized options help meet diverse learning needs; and
- Navigation controls provide students with the flexibility to move easily through content and customize their personal learning experience.
15-1021 Heartsaver® First Aid Student Workbook with Heartsaver® First Aid Quick Reference Guide
15-1402 Heartsaver® First Aid Online
What are Heartsaver® Courses?
Heartsaver® courses are courses that target Non-Healthcare Professionals. These courses are designed for anyone with little or no medical training who needs a course completion card for job, or other requirements. These courses can also be taken by anyone who wants to be prepared for an emergency in any setting. For many Heartsaver® courses, students receive a course completion card that is valid for 2 years.
The Heartsaver® Series Includes: