Who Should Take This Training?
This course is intended for those involved in child care who have a duty to respond to illnesses and injuries in a child or infant in the first few minutes until professional help arrives. This audience includes child care workers, teachers, foster care workers, camp counselors, youth organizations, and coaches for children’s sports organizations. This course is also ideal for parents, grandparents, babysitters, and guardians.
NOTE - This course is NOT for Healthcare Providers. If you work or plan to work in a healthcare environment, please take BLS CPR (Basic Life Support CPR) to fulfill your CPR requirement.
Upon completion of this course, students receive an American Heart Association Heartsaver® CPR AED Course Completion eCard via email that is valid for two years.
After enrollment and payment, students will be emailed a key-code and link that allows them access to their online course to be taken at the AHA website.
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in all AHA courses and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the AHA. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the AHA.
BLS/ALS Continuing Education Credits
This EMS-CEU (7 Hours) course has been approved for 7 Contact Hours (7 CEUs) of BLS/ALS Instructor-based Continuing Education by CE (Provider 56-0013), CAPCE Provider #SUNI0321.
IACET Continuing Education Credits Effective 11-1-2019
Safety Unlimited, Inc. is authorized by IACET to offer 7 Contact Hours (0.7 CEUs) of Continuing Education (CE) for this program.
Safety Unlimited, Inc. (Provider #5660170-2) is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). Safety Unlimited, Inc. complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, Safety Unlimited, Inc. is accredited to issue the IACET CEU. As an IACET Accredited Provider, Safety Unlimited, Inc. offers CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
Loading Classroom Dates…
After successfully completing the Heartsaver® CPR AED portion of this course, students should be able to:
- List the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of a rescuer providing first aid to a child or infant;
- Describe the four key steps in first aid for children and infants: prevent, protect, assess, and act;
- Remove protective gloves (skill student will demonstrate);
- Find the problem (skill student will demonstrate);
- Describe the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, and shock;
- Control bleeding and bandaging (skills student will demonstrate);
- Use an epinephrine pen (skill student will demonstrate);
- Recognize elements of common injuries;
- Recognize elements of common illnesses;
- Describe how to find information on preventing illness and injury;
- Recognize the legal questions that apply to pediatric first aid rescuers;
- Describe how high-quality CPR improves survival;
- Explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival;
- Recognize when someone needs CPR;
- Perform high-quality CPR for an adult (optional);
- Describe how to perform CPR with help from others;
- Give effective breaths by using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups;
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult (optional);
- Perform high-quality CPR for a child;
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on a child;
- Perform high-quality CPR for an infant;
- Describe when and how to help a choking adult or child;
- Demonstrate how to help a choking infant;
All AHA courses have been updated to reflect new science from the 2020 AHA Guidelines for CPR & ECC and the 2020 AHA/Red Cross Guidelines for First Aid.
100% Classroom Course Features:
- Video-based course ensures consistency;
- Instructor-led, hands-on class format reinforces skills proficiency;
- Student Workbook comes with Heartsaver® First Aid Quick Reference Guide that summarizes first aid actions for many injuries and illnesses; and
- Course is updated with the new science from the 2020 AHA Guidelines Update for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care.
20-1124 (20-3112 eBook) Heartsaver Pediatric CPR AED Student Workbook with:
- 20-1131 Heartsaver® Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Quick Reference Guide
- Heartsaver® CPR AED Adult Reminder Card; and
- Heartsaver® CPR AED Child & Infant Reminder Card.
What are Heartsaver® Courses?
Heartsaver® courses are courses that target Non-Healthcare Professionals. These courses are designed for anyone with little or no medical training who needs a course completion card for job, or other requirements. These courses can also be taken by anyone who wants to be prepared for an emergency in any setting. For many Heartsaver® courses, students receive a course completion card that is valid for 2 years.
The Heartsaver® Series Includes: