Who Should Take This Training?
This course is intended for anyone with limited or no medical training who needs a course completion card in CPR and AED use to meet job, regulatory, or other requirements, or it can also be taken by those who simply want to be prepared for an emergency in any type of setting. NOTE - This course is NOT for Healthcare Providers. If you work or plan to work in a healthcare environment, please take BLS CPR (Basic Life Support CPR) to fulfill your CPR requirement.
The skills session must be completed within 60 days of completing the online portion of the course.
Upon completion of this course, students receive an American Heart Association Heartsaver® First Aid Course Completion eCard via email that is valid for two years.
After enrollment and payment, students will be emailed a key-code and link that allows them access to their online course to be taken at the AHA website.
IACET Continuing Education Credits Effective 11-1-2019
Safety Unlimited, Inc. is authorized by IACET to offer 4 Contact Hours (0.4 CEUs) of Continuing Education (CE) for this program.
Safety Unlimited, Inc. (Provider #5660170-2) is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). Safety Unlimited, Inc. complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, Safety Unlimited, Inc. is accredited to issue the IACET CEU. As an IACET Accredited Provider, Safety Unlimited, Inc. offers CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in all AHA courses and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the AHA. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the AHA.
About This Course
Following the completion of all training content and achievement of passing scores on all exams, students will need to complete a brief evaluation and confirm his/her identity. After doing so, the student will have access to the course completion certificate.
After successfully completing this First Aid course, students should be able to:
- List the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of the first aid rescuer;
- Describe the key steps in first aid;
- Remove protective gloves;
- Find the problem;
- Describe the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke;
- Use an epinephrine pen;
- Control bleeding and bandaging;
- Recognize elements of common injuries;
- Recognize elements of common illnesses;
- Describe how to find information on preventing illness and injury;
- Recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers;
All AHA courses have been updated to reflect new science from the 2020 AHA Guidelines for CPR & ECC and the 2020 AHA Guidelines for First Aid.
First Aid Online Features:
- Updated to reflect new science in the 2020 American Heart Association Guidelines Update for CPR and ECC and the 2020 American Heart Association and American Red Cross Update for First Aid;
- Designed to teach students the cognitive information needed for first aid training;
- Upon successful completion of both portions of the course, students receive a Heartsaver® First Aid course completion card, which is valid for two years;
- A key and instructional information will be sent to you in order to activate the course online;
- Codes will be emailed within 24 hours; and
- Course length: Online portion is about 3.5 hours; skills and hands on sessions are about 30 minutes.
- Students have the convenience of completing the course at their own pace at work, home, or wherever Internet access is available;
- Can be used for initial or renewal training;
- Includes interactive exercises and videos to engage students and provide periodic points of knowledge transference;
- Certificate of completion available to print when the online portion has been completed successfully;
- Students have access to all information in the online portion for 24 months after activation of their key to help reinforce what they have learned;
- Includes audio and transcript for students who may have a hearing or visual disability;
- Screen and text-sized options help meet diverse learning needs; and
- Navigation controls provide students with the flexibility to move easily through content and customize their learning experience.
What are Heartsaver® Courses?
Heartsaver® courses are courses that target Non-Healthcare Professionals. These courses are designed for anyone with little or no medical training who needs a course completion card for job, or other requirements. These courses can also be taken by anyone who wants to be prepared for an emergency in any setting. For many Heartsaver® courses, students receive a course completion card that is valid for 2 years.
The Heartsaver® Series Includes: