Who Should Take This Training?
This course is intended for anyone with limited or no medical training who needs a course completion card in First Aid and CPR AED use to meet job, regulatory, or other requirements, or it can also be taken by those who simply want to be prepared for an emergency in any type of setting.
Course Format Options
This 100% classroom training means students are with an AHA instructor for their entire learning experience. This video-based, instructor-led course teaches skills with the AHA’s research-proven practice-while-watching technique, which allows instructors to observe the students, provide feedback, and guide the students’ learning of skills.
Upon completion of this course, students receive an American Heart Association Heartsaver® First Aid CPR AED Course Completion eCard via email that is valid for two years.
After enrollment and payment, students will be emailed a key-code and link that allows them access to their online course to be taken at the AHA website.
IACET Continuing Education Credits Effective 11-1-2019
Safety Unlimited, Inc. is authorized by IACET to offer 5 Contact Hours (0.5 CEUs) of Continuing Education (CE) for this program.
Safety Unlimited, Inc. (Provider #5660170-2) is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). Safety Unlimited, Inc. complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, Safety Unlimited, Inc. is accredited to issue the IACET CEU. As an IACET Accredited Provider, Safety Unlimited, Inc. offers CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in all AHA courses and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the AHA. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the AHA.
Loading Classroom Dates…
After successfully completing the Heartsaver® CPR AED portion of this course, students should be able to:
- Describe how high-quality CPR improves survival;
- Explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival;
- Recognize when someone needs CPR;
- Perform high-quality CPR for an adult;
- Describe how to perform CPR with help from others;
- Give effective breaths by using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups;
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult;
- Perform high-quality CPR for a child*;
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on a child*;
- Perform high-quality CPR for an infant*;
- Demonstrate how to help a choking infant*.
*Child and infant modules are optional.
After successfully completing the Heartsaver® First Aid portion of this course, students should be able to:
- List the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of first aid rescuers;
- Describe the key steps in first aid;
- Remove protective gloves;
- Find the problem;
- Describe the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke;
- Use an epinephrine pen;
- Control bleeding and bandaging;
- Recognize elements of common injuries;
- Recognize elements of common illnesses;
- Describe how to find information on preventing illness and injury; and
- Recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers.
All AHA courses have been updated to reflect new science from the 2020 AHA Guidelines for CPR & ECC and the 2020 AHA/Red Cross Guidelines for First Aid.
- First aid basics;
- Medical emergencies;
- Injury emergencies;
- Environmental emergencies;
- Preventing illness and injury;
- Adult CPR and AED use;
- Opioid-associated life-threatening emergencies;
- Child CPR and AED use;
- Infant CPR;
- Optional modules in child CPR and AED use and infant CPR; and
- Optional exam.
100% Classroom Course Features:
- Video-based course ensures consistency;
- Instructor-led, hands-on class format reinforces skills proficiency;
- Student Workbook comes with Heartsaver® First Aid Quick Reference Guide that summarizes first aid actions for many injuries and illnesses; and
- Course is updated with the new science from the 2020 AHA Guidelines Update for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care.
20-1126 Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Student Workbook with:
- Heartsaver® First Aid Quick Reference Guide;
- Heartsaver® CPR AED Adult Reminder Card; and
- Heartsaver® CPR AED Child & Infant Reminder Card.
What are Heartsaver® Courses?
Heartsaver® courses are courses that target Non-Healthcare Professionals. These courses are designed for anyone with little or no medical training who needs a course completion card for job, or other requirements. These courses can also be taken by anyone who wants to be prepared for an emergency in any setting. For many Heartsaver® courses, students receive a course completion card that is valid for 2 years.
The Heartsaver® Series Includes: