Starting 7/1/2019, an EMT renewing his or her certification shall submit documentation of successful completion of the following training by an approved EMT training program or approved CE provider:
- The use and administration of naloxone or other opioid antagonist that meets the standards and requirements of Title 22, Division 9, Chapter 2, §100075(c).
- The use and administration of epinephrine by auto-injector that meets the standards and requirements Title 22, Division 9, Chapter 2, §100075(d).
- The use of a glucometer that meets the standards and requirements of Title 22, Division 9, Chapter 2, §100075(e).
What is an EMT?
An Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) is trained and certified in basic life support practices and is certified by the LEMSAs or an approved public safety agency (Certifying Entity). California law requires all ambulance attendants to be trained and certified to the EMT level and many fire agencies require firefighters to be EMT certified. EMTs are often used as the first dispatched medical responder in an emergency medical system. There are more than 60,000 EMTs certified in California.
How Else Can I Take This Training?
Currently, Safety Unlimited instructors are only authorized for classroom delivery of this training. Classroom training is offered both through open-enrollment or by employers hosting their own on-site training.
You can request a quote to have on-site training conducted at your location.
Is This Course Accredited?
This Safety Unlimited, Inc. EMS-CE 3 Hour New Optional Scope (Training on Aspirin, Atropine, and Pralidoxime Chloride) course is approved by the state of California (provider #56-0013) and the Ventura County EMS Agency (provider #56-0013), and meets the state requirements for EMT Refresher CE training. This course also applies towards the NREMT requirements as described on the Accreditations tab for this course.
Please contact your Local EMS Agency (LEMSA) should you need further guidance.
Note - Accreditation for EMTs to practice these Optional Skills are limited to those whose EMT certificate is active and are employed within the jurisdiction of the LEMSA by an employer who is part of the organized EMS system. Check with your Local EMS Agency to know more.
The 2 topics for this course include:
||Atropine and Pralidoxime Chloride (Nerve Agent – Organophosphate)
||2 hours (LEMSA Approval)
||1 hour (LEMSA Approval)
Below are excerpts from Title 22 that apply to this training course:
§ 100064. EMT Optional Skills.
- (a) In addition to the activities authorized by Section 100063 of this Chapter, a LEMSA may establish policies and procedures for local accreditation of an EMT student or certified EMT to perform any or all of the following optional skills specified in this section. Accreditation for EMTs to practice optional skills shall be limited to those whose EMT certificate is active and are employed within the jurisdiction of the LEMSA by an employer who is part of the organized EMS system.
- (3) Administer the medications listed in this subsection.
- (A) Using prepackaged products, the following medications may be administered: 1. Atropine 2. Pralidoxime Chloride
- (B) This training shall consist of no less than two (2) hours of didactic and skills laboratory training to result in competency. In addition, a basic weapons of mass destruction training is recommended. Training in the profile of medications listed in subsections (A) shall include, but not be limited to:
- (6) Administer over the counter medications, when approved by the medical director, including, but not limited to:
- (A) Aspirin.
BLS/ALS Continuing Education Credits
This EMS-CEU ( 3 Hours) course has been approved for 3 Contact Hours (3 CEUs) of BLS/ALS Instructor-based Continuing Education by CE (Provider 56-0013), CAPCE Provider #SUNI0321.
IACET Continuing Education Credits Effective 11-1-2019
Safety Unlimited, Inc. is authorized by IACET to offer 3 Contact Hours (0.3 CEUs) of Continuing Education (CE) for this program.
Safety Unlimited, Inc. (Provider #5660170-2) is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). Safety Unlimited, Inc. complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, Safety Unlimited, Inc. is accredited to issue the IACET CEU. As an IACET Accredited Provider, Safety Unlimited, Inc. offers CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
Safety Unlimited's Accreditations
California State Approved EMS-CE Training Provider
This training meets the requirements for BLS/ALS Instructor-based Continuing Education. Basic Life Support / Advanced Life Support Continuing Education Provider Approval Number #56-0013.
IACET Authorized Training Provider
Safety Unlimited, Inc., Provider #5660170-2, is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). Safety Unlimited, Inc. complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, Safety Unlimited, Inc. is accredited to issue the IACET CEU. As an IACET Accredited Provider, Safety Unlimited, Inc. offers CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
Commission on Accreditation for Pre-Hospital Continuing Education
CAPCE Provider #SUNI0321
Ventura County Healthcare Agency
Basic Life Support / Advanced Life Support Continuing Education Provider Approval Number #56-0013
American Heart Association
Authorized training site under training center #CA-2097
EMS Continuing Education Credits
Each of the four courses is approved for the appropriate number of Contact Hours of EMS Continuing Education by approved California EMS provider #56-0013.
* Check your state EMS Authority for any possible additional requirements.