Who Should Take This Training?
The AHA’s BLS Provider Course is designed for healthcare providers caring for patients both in a pre-hospital and in-facility environments. In-facility refers to healthcare providers who work in a hospital, clinic, or other health care facility including a dentist office, skilled nursing, and assisted-living facilities.
Course Format Options
This course can be taken entirely in the classroom or in a blended format. A blended format combines the flexibility of online training with a hands-on skills testing session with an AHA Instructor.
Classroom training is also known as BLS – Instructor-Led Training. Instructor-Led Training means students are led by a Safety Unlimited AHA Instructor in a classroom setting. Students participate in simulated clinical scenarios and learning stations. Students also work with one of our AHA BLS Instructors to complete BLS skills practice and skills testing. Students are required to complete a written exam.
The blended format, also known as HeartCode® BLS, begins with the student taking eLearning portion of their training at the AHA website. Upon completion of the online portion, students must attend a structured BLS Hands-On Session with one of our AHA BLS Instructors. The skills session is referred to a BLS Provider Skills Session.
The online portion can be completed in approximately 1 to 2 hours. The time to complete the hands-on session can range anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the experience of the student.
Student select their format option during the signup process.
Upon completion of this course, students receive an American Heart Association AHA BLS Provider Course Completion eCard via email that is valid for two years.
After enrollment and payment, students will be emailed a key-code and link that allows them access to their online course to be taken at the AHA website.
BLS/ALS Continuing Education Credits
This EMS-CEU ( 4.5 Hours) course has been approved for 4.5 Contact Hours (4.5 CEUs) of BLS/ALS Instructor-based Continuing Education by CE (Provider 56-0013), CAPCE Provider #SUNI0321.
IACET Continuing Education Credits Effective 11-1-2019
Safety Unlimited, Inc. is authorized by IACET to offer 4.5 Contact Hours (0.45 CEUs) of Continuing Education (CE) for this program.
Safety Unlimited, Inc. (Provider #5660170-2) is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). Safety Unlimited, Inc. complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, Safety Unlimited, Inc. is accredited to issue the IACET CEU. As an IACET Accredited Provider, Safety Unlimited, Inc. offers CEUs for its programs that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in all AHA courses and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the AHA. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the AHA.
After successfully completing the BLS Provider CPR course, students should be able to:
- Explain the importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival;
- Describe all the steps of the Chain of Survival;
- Apply the BLS concepts of the Chain of Survival;
- Recognize when someone requires CPR;
- Perform high-quality CPR for an adult;
- Describe the importance of early use of an automated external defibrillator (AED);
- Demonstrate the appropriate use of an AED;
- Ventilate effectively using a barrier device;
- Perform high-quality CPR for an infant or child;
- Describe the importance of teams in multi-rescuer resuscitation;
- Perform as an effective team member during multi-rescuer CPR; and
- Describe the technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction for an infant, child, or adult.
BLS – Instructor-Led Training Features:
- Reflects science and education from the 2015 AHA Guidelines Update for CPR and ECC;
- Instructor-led, hands-on class format reinforces skills proficiency;
- Emphasis on high-quality CPR including a team dynamics classroom activity; and
- Video-based course with real world scenarios.
HeartCode® BLS Features:
- Updated science and education reflecting the 2015 AHA Guidelines Update for CPR and ECC;
- Includes in-facility and prehospital tracks (student chooses his/her track before starting the HeartCode® BLS Online Portion);
- Enhanced learning experience through eSimulations, life-like animations, video scenarios, and knowledge checks;
- Available for students with hearing, vision, and/or motor impairments (accessible on OnlineAHA.org only); and
- This course option may be chosen for initial or renewal course completion.
The American Heart Association has added a BLS Renewal Course option for BLS providers to complete BLS training and receive a BLS Provider course completion card. For AHA Basic Life Support CPR Renewal training, visit the link below.
AHA Basic Life Support Renewal CPR
- 15-1010 BLS Provider Manual (includes BLS Reference Card); or
- 15-1400 HeartCode® BLS
- 15-3102 BLS Provider Manual eBook (includes Digital BLS Reference Card)